Saturday 18 December 2010

Evaluation Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

When we created the preliminary task, we were new to the cameras and equipment and also to the editing program. We therefore had to experiment with everything in order to realise the potential angles and effects we could achieve.

The planning involved in our preliminary task involved working from a script and we casted actors who were in our group. Our actors learned the script and one of the actors was also a member of our crew . We devised a shot list and set our cameras up in a 180 degree
rule.

Filming took an hour and this enabled us to re run the scene in order to make sure everything was perfect. Editing the preliminary task took 2 hours and we all took it in turns to edit each part of the film and adding effects



Looking at the effects we used compared to the simple transitions and fades that i used in my re sit piece, i can see that using simple transitions create a much nicer and better quality effect that doesn't distort the footage and make it confusing for viewers.

Compared to the preliminary task, the main task involved lots of planning prior to filming and even more time when editing the film. Before filming i had to research into the history of horror and into similar media works in order to develop a new and creative opening of my own horror film. I also had to consider our target audience and how i could adapt our film to appeal to them. I then created the initial ideas which enabled me to consider different ideas and then incorporate several ideas leaving me with one creative idea. I then created an exact film brief on how i would like the film opening to be and a script, after this I created character profiles for the two characters in the film and when auditioning actors for the parts I tried to consider actors that I believed to have similar attributes to the characters and who gave a believable performance. I then had to get consent from the parents of my actors due to them being under 18. After I had my idea and my actors I then had to scout a location where i visualised the film to be set. After buying all the costumes and props needed for the film i was then then ready to film. I had scheduled 4 days to film but due to the snow i was unable to travel to pick actors up. This meant i had to reschedule for the next week when the snow had cleared. I finished filming in these 4 days. Editing took 4 or 5 hours during free periods and after sixth form and this was extra time consuming due to the fact i had over filmed in order to capture as many different camera angles.

When creating the preliminary task, the work and research we had to do prior to filming was nothing compared to the grand scale of hard work and time I had to give to the main task especialy as i was re sitting the whole project on my own, in future i hope to work in a group of 4 as the workload and be distributed evenly without the amount seeming so daunting. Creating the preliminary task has helped me to learn how to use the cameras and equipment to my greater benefit in order to use different camera angles and effects to create a film. The use of tripods helped me to capture different camera angles which we hadn't used in the preliminary task. Particularly the high camera angles i used to victimise Sam and to highlight how the females were victims too. All the planning involved has helped me to develop my horror that is similar to existing products, i chose to specifically concentrate on Dawn Of The Dead (2004) and 28 Days Later (2002) and i chose to use similar conventions in order to attract a larger audience.
It has also helped use to improve the quality of filming, for example in the preliminary task, our shots were shaky and I especially made sure that my cameras were stabilised on tripods to make the steady shots in the main task. I now feel more confident with the equipment and editing software after spending so much time using them, i have learnt that Final Cut Express is far easier and faster to use than Adobe Premier Elements which i used before the re sit. This makes me feel more comfortable knowing my potential for my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment